You Can Have That Urban Life AND Your Garden Escape
More and more it seems I’m working with families who ask for beautiful garden spaces. Some houses in Washington DC or the neighboring suburbs that make up the DC metropolitan area offer gorgeous, quaint gardens; whereas other properties feel too trapped in urban environments that previous owners don’t see the possibility for a garden. If you need to live in the city for work, but you want to have that serene, garden escape — I’m here to tell you that you can have it all!!!
Here are a few ways to accomplish that urban patio sanctuary!
1. An arched trellis is perhaps the perfect way to fool yourself into thinking buildings are miles away! With the greenery growing on top of you as the sunlight filters through the healthy leaves, you’ll create a beautiful privacy for your morning coffee, or simply your escape after your long workday.
2. Decorate with minimalist furniture, keeping to simple and muted color tones so you may maintain that fresh, organic feel and look while allowing the greenery and flowers around you to be the centerpiece. Sticking to a white color pallet and decorating with natural wood and stone will boost your feelings of relaxation and offer the perfect contrast to your outside, urban environment.
3. Install a water feature!! Can you think of a more peaceful sound than flowing water? Not only will this gorgeous white noise filter out the beeping on the street, but it will be beautiful to look at and only add to your serene and fresh garden escape.
4. If you have a narrow patio space with obstructed views from neighboring buildings, you have the opportunity to do something very special! Use the vertical space to hang string lights above you, automatically transforming what would have been a flaw into a feature that makes your garden escape unique to most.
5. Choose luxurious seating. While keeping to the muted color pallet discussed earlier, no one said anything about sacrificing comfort! Choose furniture that gets you excited about lounging there for hours. Find something plump with big comfy pillows and surround it with your favorite potted plants. You’ll not only be building a garden escape, you’ll be creating the perfect hangout for your favorite people.
Enjoy and tweet us photos @CurbsideInDC of all that you’re creating!